The Oval Library is considered Harvey Ladew’s finest addition to the old white farmhouse.
The room is an expression of beauty, dignity and grace. One enters the room through a
magnificent carved English pine door discovered while out exploring the “junque” shops
during one of his hunting holidays in England. The door dates from 1726 and heralds from
West Haley Hall, a Norfolk country house.
Opposite the pine entrance doorway, Mr. Ladew placed a rare green and white marble fireplace
made in Ireland. In addition to the oval partners’ desk, which was inspiration for the room,
there is an inlaid drop-leaf gaming table suitable for backgammon or for chess conveniently
situated in front of a window with an eastern exposure. On the other side of the room, is a
Queen Anne vintage card table with a petit-point cover, featuring a design of cards and tokens.
The game of bridge was another of Mr. Ladew’s passions and proficiencies.