Volunteer Training and Learning Opportunities
New volunteers receive hands-on training through scheduled training sessions
and/or on-the-job experience throughout the year. Returning volunteers receive
opportunities to attend refresher training classes, as well as off-site fieldtrips.
View all events >>
New Volunteer Open House
Friday, March 20 or Saturday, March 21
9am to 11am
Volunteering at Ladew is a great way to contribute to one of the "Top 5 Gardens in North America" while learning new skills, meeting interesting people and having fun.
Please join us at our annual Volunteer Open House to learn about current volunteer opportunities and chat with staff and volunteers.
To attend either on Friday, March 20 or Saturday, March 21 from 9-11 am, RSVP to Barbara Barnoff at 410-557-95-70 ext.215 or email@example.com
Complimentary coffee and tea will be available at 8:45. The program will begin at 9 am in the Studio.
Volunteer Training Course : Help Teach Children about Nature
Tuesdays and Thursdys: March 31 - April 16 (9:30am - 12:30pm)
Train to become a tour leader for children’s school field trips. Learn about plants and animals of the gardens, general ecology concepts and outdoor teaching techniques. $20 refundable fee. Registration and background checks required. To register, contact Sheryl Pedrick at 410.557.9570, ext. 226, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Butterfly House Volunteer Training
Saturday, June 6 or Wednesday, June 10 (9:30am – 12:30pm)
Interested in sharing the importance of our local butterflies and caterpillars and the plants that support them? Learn what it takes to be a butterfly house greeter/docent. Ages 16 & up. $20 refundable fee for new butterfly house volunteers. Advance registration & payment required. Contact Sue Myers at 410.557.9570,ext. 213, or email@example.com.
- Lead 45 minute house tours
- Teach visitors about Harvey Ladew’s legacy
- Learn about Maryland history, antiques and collectibles
- Lead one hour garden tours
- Give guided golf cart tours to visitors who otherwise would not
be able to experience the gardens
- Help weed and maintain the Gardens and/or Nature Walk
- Work alongside Ladew’s professional garden staff
- Teach children to understand and respect nature
- Assist staff in conducting school field trips
- Help with Summer Nature Camps
- Greet visitors and sell admissions and/or memberships
- Coordinate visitor parking
- Assist with children’s activities and crafts
- Create wreaths and fresh arrangements for Ladew’s Holiday greens Sale
- Learn techniques to create your own decorations at home
These are just a sampling of the volunteer opportunities available.
For more information or to volunteer:
BY MAIL OR FAX: (Download Application Form)
BY PHONE OR EMAIL: Contact Barbara Barnoff at (410) 557-9570, ext. 215 or firstname.lastname@example.org